BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Real Man

He stands tall at almost 6 feet
But his height isn't what is intimidating
He wears white tees and big jeans
His shoes are clean but he's not obsessive
He smokes squares as he reads The Art of War
He sits in the back as I read my poetry at the open mic
he lays awake at night, staring at me sleep
Smirking as I drool
He chases my kids around with water guns
Reads them Dr. Seuss
And plays mediator when our kids meet
He brings home a paycheck
and even though it's small
I'm proud of his effort and respect his grind
He's everything a man should be
He never takes a dime from me
Refuses to swallow his pride
or come off as a lame
He defends me to his friends and family
Because he knows I always have his back
and that blood is not always thicker than water
He drives my car gently and always puts gas in it
He surprises me with sneakers, DVDs, handbags, and paid bills
He devours my grandma's home cookin
I run his bath water and give him a manicure
Just for holdin down home
He lets me go out with the ladies
while he plays PS2 with the kids at home
He thinks my writing is brilliant and encourages me to do my best
He self-educates and isn't afraid to go in a bookstore
He prays with me in silent behind closed doors
cuz he's no hypocrite like that
Too bad I haven't met him yet.

0 comments: